Demands from Chinese and Hong Kong socialists (2/2)
6. Call for nation-wide mourning of the deaths of those caused by irresponsible lockdown measures.
7. Ensure the resignation of bureaucrats responsible for pandemic mismanagement.
8. Pandemic control measures must be informed by medical experts and conducted democratically amongst the people.
9. Safeguard the rights of people to the freedom of speech, assembly, organization, and protest.
10. Support independent workers’ power in and beyond these protests; abolish anti-worker practices like the 996 work schedule and strengthen labor law protections, including protecting workers’ right to strike and self-organization, so they can participate more extensively in political life.
See the full letter here: https://lausancollective.com/2022/from-urumqi-shanghai/
Demands from Chinese and Hong Kong socialists (1/2)
This letter was written by socialists from mainland China and Hong Kong, in which they elaborated their demands and strategy for the protests. Here are their 10 demands:
1. Abolish the current lockdowns that forcibly detain people in their homes, denying them of access to basic needs.
2. Abolish forced PCR testing for COVID-19.
3. Allow those who are infected to isolate at home, while those with severe symptoms have the right to treatment in the hospital; cancel forcible transfer and isolation of infected and non-infected individuals in mobile cabin “hospitals”.
4. Provide options for multiple vaccines, allowing individuals the right to choose their own healthcare.
5. Release Sitong Bridge protestor Peng Zaizhou and other political prisoners who are being detained from the protests.
#fediblock davidhamilton @ mastodon.scot
This guy is the chair of the Scottish police federation, which is the "union" that serves to protect police officers from inquiries into their misconduct.
Since arriving he has used a twitter cross-poster to promote police violence against citizens (in contravention of mastodon.scot's own rule 5: "No incitement of violence or promotion of violent ideologies.")
This isn't new for Hamilton, who only 2 years ago victim-blamed peaceful anti-eviction protesters after they came under attack by the fascist Scottish Defense League. He refused to condemn the fascists and drew a false equivalence between the two groups. https://www.thenational.scot/news/18527358.scottish-police-federation-blasted-comments-george-square-disorder/
In the past, he has also referred to people resisting arrest as "animals" and attacked the independence of the judiciary for not aligning with his violent ideology.
Despite having received a number of reports against him, .scot has yet to remove him from their servers. This may be due to overload, as in a matter of days their numbers have exploded, with thousands of new sign ups each day. So please do report more.
At best, he is a dangerous, violent ideologue that represents a clear threat to people on this network. At worst, he is a fascist sympathiser.
Do with this information what you will.
Ok so SIR Keir Starmer has:
1. Supported the increased criminalisation of protest
2. Advocated for Farage's xenophobic "points based" immigration policy
3. Proposed banning social transition for young trans people
4. Rejected a referendum for Scottish independence on grounds of English supremacy
5. Criticised the NHS' hiring of foreign workers
6. Protected antisemites within his own shadow cabinet
7. Actively attempted to court right-wing tabloids like the S*n
8. Ruled out any renegotiation of brexit, specifically freedom of movement
9. Called for closer collaboration between the government and big business interests
10. Vocally supported unionists in Northern Ireland, even as they sabotage bipartisan politics
remind me why the FUCK I should vote labour?
that sartre quote on antisemitism
“Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.”
lmao beteve picked this one up https://beteve.cat/societat/mapa-comarques-catalunya-angles-viral-twitter/
Democracy wins again
scotpol, anti-fascist action
Nazi tries to recruit schoolchildren, gets pelted with water bottles by said schoolchildren
the weans are awright
Scottish bairn suffering heatstroke in the Med.
Generalist Hometown instance with a strong focus on community standards. No TERF, no SWERF, no Nazi, no Centrist.